Sunday, February 19, 2012

Chronological Survey of "Eroica" opening

I'm not sure if anyone else will find this interesting, but thought I'd share it: someone has compiled 20-30 different recordings (from 1952 to the present) of the Beethoven 3rd Symphony opening two chords.  Most people would probably be struck by the variety of pitches used as E-flat major - some of them sound a half-step high to my ear, and in the 1980's you hear a few of the "period instrument" groups playing a half-step lower than a "modern" E-flat. 

I think it's interesting to see, in this very brief and not exactly scientifically controlled experiment, how differently people can play the exact same two chords.  And all of them, I'm sure, were doing what they thought best suited Beethoven. 

1 comment:

Stan said...

Did you know that Alejo Carpentier (Cuban writer and diplomat)'s novel El Acoso is tied to a performance of the Eroica?
check this link
http://www.mantex.co.uk/2009/09/17/alejo-carpentier-a-guide-to-his-greatest-works/ Since I read it over 40 years ago, that's about all I remember!