Friday, March 2, 2012

We don't need no education

I just saw an eye-opening video of a lecture by Sir Ken Robinson, from the "TED" series.  It is not a new video (in fact it is from 2006) but I would urge you to watch it.  One of the major points here is that our education system doesn't necessarily foster creativity (in fact, he argues, it stifles creativity).  The question on my mind is: how can we help children (and everyone) develop their flexible, creative, problem-solving sides?  I have two children and while they are both intelligent, one is great at memorizing and creating systems for herself, while the other is more flexible in her thinking (and, incidentally, is lazier).  I try to foster their creativity (knowing that this is useful for all fields, not just the arts) by encouraging them to draw, dance, play music, etc.  Is that all I can do?  I'd love to hear suggestions.  Meanwhile, enjoy the lecture - it is well worth the 20 minutes of your time it will take to watch it. 

No comments: